If you are home bound and wish to be visited by a Eucharistic Minister to the Sick,
or if you would like to volunteer to become a minister, please contact:
Director of Pastoral Care
(408) 354-3726 ext 121
St. Mary’s Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick volunteer to bring communion to a Catholic in our community who is too sick to come to church. Our volunteers share their faith, compassion, and the support of the parish community, with those in our parish who are sick.
We are called by Baptism to be Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick – to bring the comfort of Christ in the form of the Eucharist to those who cannot come to church.
Where and when does the ministry take place?
- The call to minister to the sick flows from our Baptism.
- Ordained and lay, together we are the Body of Christ. We are called by Christ as apostles of the Church. Jesus says to all of us, “As the Father has sent me, so I send you” (John 20:21).
- We bring the Church to people who cannot physically come to church. In this way, the sick and home bound are united to the Body of Christ present at St. Mary’s community. We continue the healing and compassionate ministry of Jesus, as members of His Body. It is always in Jesus' name that we visit.
- This is not a private, but a public act of representing the Church as an institution and St. Mary’s as a parish.
- Our call as Ministers to the Sick is to be present to each person as they attempt to find God in their life situation by listening to them.
- Christian presence is the gift we bring to the sick. Confidentiality, respect, and acceptance are the gifts which must be inherent in this presence.
Established times at nursing homes and assisted living facilities once a week. More flexible times at residential facilities and private homes.
What is the time commitment and for how long?
Once a week for from one to two hours.
St. Mary’s Director of Pastoral Care provides training and the volunteer is also mentored by an experienced Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick.
Where do St. Mary’s Eucharistic Ministers to the Sick Serve?
- The volunteer needs to be a fully initiated Catholic (one who has received the three Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist), and a member of St. Mary’s Parish who participates in weekly mass and personal prayer.
- We practice the art of listening and understanding with the attitude of love and respect when we visit.
- We accept people where they are, listen to their story, and do not try not to “fix” them.
- The Diocese of San Jose requires that all volunteers and staff who work with children and vulnerable adults be fingerprinted and complete the Shield the Vulnerable on-line training as a prerequisite to this ministry. St. Mary’s Pastoral Ministry Office will assist you with these tasks.
We visit people in resident homes, assisted living facilities, residential care homes, and private homes in Los Gatos within the parish boundaries designated by the Diocese of San Jose.
Cedar Creek Alzheimer’s + Dementia Care Center
, 15245 National Avenue
Sunday Morning - 10:30 am
Heather Quint-Stallions, Leader
Garden Hill Care Home
, 112 Garden Hill
Wednesday - 9:30 am
Good Samaritan Hospital 2425 Samaritan Drive, San Jose, CA 95124
R&L Residential Care Home
Monday Morning - 10:00 am
Marilyn Dueweke - Leader
Mary Schlink (substitute)
Los Gatos Commons (Contact Marietta Riney 395-6197)
445 Albeerto Way, Los Gatos, CA 95032
Mass-2nd Tuesday of Month at 10:30 am
The Meadows, 110 Wood Road, Chapel on 3rd floor
Mass - 3rd Wednesday of the month at 10:30 a.m.
Communion + Scripture - All other Wednesdays at 10:30 am
Linda Robles, Leader
, 324 Los Gatos Boulevard
The Terraces of Los Gatos,
800 Blossom Hill Road
Mass - 4th Tuesday of the month at 10:30 a.m. (1st floor Assembly Room)
Eucharist + Scripture - Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. (2nd floor Lodge)
Michael Finelli, Leader
Each Sunday Eucharist is brought bedside to residents in the Health Center
Steve Fertitta, Leader
Vasona Creek, 16412 Los Gatos Blvd.
1st Floor Meeting Room
Mass - 3rd Thursday of Month, 10:30 a.m.
Communion, Rosary + Bedside Visits - Thursdays at 10:30 a.m.
Al Chavez, Leader
Andy + Helen Byrnes
As needed - please call Jane Najour
To volunteer or for more information email Jane Najour or call (408) 354-3726 x121